Little Leroy came into the kitchen where his mother was making dinner. His birthday was coming up and he thought this was a good time to tell his mother what he wanted. "Mom, I want a bike for my birthday."|
Little Leroy was a bit of a trouble maker. He had gotten into trouble at school and at home.
Leroy's mother asked him if he thought he deserved to get a bike for his birthday. Little Leroy, of course, thought he did. Leroy's mother, being a Christian woman, wanted Leroy to reflect on his behavior over the last year.
"Go to your room, Leroy, and think about how you have behaved this year. Then write a letter to God and tell him why you deserve a bike for your birthday."
Little Leroy stomped up the steps to his room and sat down to write God a letter.
Letter 1: Dear God, I have been a very good boy this year and I would like a bike for my birthday. I want a red one.
Leroy knew that this wasn't true. He had not been a very good boy this year, so he tore up the letter and started over.
Letter 2: Dear God, This is your friend Leroy. I have been a good boy this year and I would like a red bike for my birthday. Thank you.
Letter 3: Dear God, I have been an "ok" boy this year. I still would really like a bike for my birthday.
Leroy knew he could not send this letter to God either. So, Leroy wrote a fourth letter.
Letter 4: God, I know I haven't been a good boy this year. I am very sorry, I will be a good boy if you just send me a bike for my birthday. PLEASE!!
Leroy knew, even if it was true, this letter was not going to get him a bike. Now, Leroy was very upset. He went downstairs and told his mom that he wanted to go to church. Leroy's mother thought her plan had worked as Leroy looked very sad.
"Just be home in time for dinner," Leroy's mother told him.
Leroy walked down the street to the church on the corner.
Little Leroy went into the church and up to the altar. He looked around to see if anyone was there. Leroy bent down and picked up a statue of the Virgin Mary. He slipped it under his shirt and ran out of the church, down the street, into the house and up to his room. He shut the door to his room and sat down with a piece of paper and a pen. Leroy began to write his letter to God.
Letter 5: God, I'VE GOT YOUR MAMA. IF YOU EVER WANNA SEE HER AGAIN, SEND THE BIKE!
The World's Easiest Quiz?
(Answers at the bottom. Hey - NO Cheating!)
1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?
2) Which country makes Panama hats?
3) From which animal do we get catgut?
4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?
5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?
7) What was King George VI's first name?
8) What color is a purple finch?
9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?
10) How long did the Thirty Years War last?
Answers To The Quiz
1) 116 years, from 1337 to 1453.
3) From sheep and horses.
4) November. The Russian calendar was 13 days behind ours.
5) Squirrel fur.
6) The Latin name was Insularia Canaria - Island of the Dogs.
7) Albert. When he came to the throne in 1936 he respected the wish
of Queen Victoria that no future king should ever be called Albert.
8) Distinctively crimson.
9) New Zealand.
10) Thirty years, of course. From 1618 to 1648.